Copston Magna is a small village located close to the ancient site of High Cross on the border between Warwickshire and Leicestershire, at the crossing of the Roman roads Watling Street and the Fosse Way.
High Cross is 443 feet above sea level. Around the time of the Fosse Way’s construction a Roman Garrison built a settlement called Venonis at High Cross. There was also evidence of an Iron Age settlement on the same site. There is a stone pillar at High Cross erected as a monument in 1712 marking the centre of Roman England and a wooden cross stood on the site for many centuries before.
In the centre of the village is St John’s Church built in 1849 by the sisters of Rudolph Feilding, 8th Earl of Denbigh. There is a pleasant view of the Church from the fruit fields.
SOME NEARBY PLACES TO EAT
On our doorstep is Pesto’s restaurant (formerly the Axe & Compass Pub).
Claybrooke Magna – The Pig in Muck
Sharnford – The Sharnford Arms
Willey – The Sarah Mansfield
Withybrook – The Pheasant
Barnacles Restaurant – Specialising in sea food.
Leicestershire LE10 3HE
Tel: 01455 220572
Normal Opening Hours
Tues - Sat: 9:00am - 6:00pm
Sun: 9:00am - 5:00pm